SUBMISSIONS

Earthplace Visitor is reviewing artistic essays, poetry, and travel commentaries relevant to "place."

Submit such writings for publication review to: BronzeDietrich@gmail.com.

Write "Submission for review" in the Subject line of your email.

2009-10-25

Sunday morning at the RENAISSANCE hotel -Chicago


On the seventh floor
at the Renaissance
a hotel near the O'Hare
airport, I awaken.

5:20 am
What am I going to do
but look out through the window?

Charcoal sky
Just light enough to see some
variable clouds,
just enough light pollution from
the street lamps,
to cast a tan horizon underneath
that sky.

No airplanes go by.

Occasional
traffic lights - double curves.
Head lights come my way.
Red lights on the right dissipate
like tiny
red periods flashing to be claimed by
that sky.

No airplanes go by.

5:25 am
What am I going to do?
Get up. Lower the shade.

Start some coffee.
Start some Sunday morning music.
Listen. Ramirez's, Missa Criolla;
it softly sings
me back to sleep
but, just for a while.

I did not hear
any airplanes go by.

6:00 am
What am I going to do?
Get coffee.  Start my day.

An airplane goes by.

No comments: